Personal Injury Lawyer
The Law Office of Brian T. Smith can represent clients who have suffered serious personal injury or death as a result of the negligence of others. Most of our clients are referred by other personal injury lawyers and prior clients. Since our firm is selective in our caseload, we put in all of the necessary time and money that is required to maximize the recovery for our client. As you can see from our record, we produce results. The Law Office of Brian T. Smith will always fight for the client’s best interests.
Choosing A Personal Injury Lawyer Is Important
Throughout the years, we have successfully represented individuals and families in Greenville and the whole of South Carolina who have suffered injury by the negligence of others. We recognize how tragic and overwhelming it can be to deal with the mounting costs and suffering caused by a serious accident. We work with well-respected experts including accident re-constructionists, bio-mechanical engineers, medical doctors, forensic pathologists, economists, and other experts. Our team uses whatever expert is appropriate to help your case. Each case has its own set of associated costs, which could include pain and suffering, lost wages, cost of care, and numerous others. Our first objective is to settle your case out of court and if going to court is necessary, we will thoroughly prepare your case.
Let Us Handle The Insurance Company For You
If you’ve been injured, you have enough to worry about without having to deal with the insurance company. Insurance companies are notorious for attempting to pay injured people less than what they are entitled to, and they often get away with it when injured people attempt to handle their cases on their own. That’s why it is so critical to put an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side to advocate for your best interests.
We’ve negotiated with insurance companies for years and know what it takes to secure maximum results for our clients. It’s not just about the most money, it is also about getting you to work, getting you back to your normal life and getting you the best outcome possible. If we don’t reach a settlement, you don’t owe us a penny for our services. There is no risk to you!*
*No fee if no recovery.
You May Be Entitled To Compensation For The Following Damages
- Hospital and medical billsHospital and medical bills
- Rehabilitation costs
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages and/or earning capacity
- Property damage
After an accident, it is probable that you suffered injuries emotional distress, financial hardship, and ‘property damages. It is important to seek aid from a personal injury attorney that has experience practicing personal injury law.
You should consider the following when seeking the aid of a lawyer after an accident or injury.
If an injury has occurred as a direct result of another party’s negligence, you should seek out a personal injury lawyer in order to qualify and obtain damages from the negligent actor. Because lawyers are experienced in different fields of law, a personal injury lawyer can help you obtain a higher settlement as a result of their experience.
It is important to note that even when hiring a personal injury lawyer, they should have experience working with individuals who have had your injury or similar injuries. A truck accident lawyer can help you if you have been the victim of an auto accident caused by a semi-truck.
It is critical to choose a personal injury lawyer that puts the client first! It is easy to recognize good customer service. The team at the Law Office of Brian T. Smith are ready to help you on the road to justice following an accident or injury. Whether you have been in a car accident or suffered a traumatic brain injury, even a concussion, our staff can help you with your specific needs.
Have You Been Injured In A Slip And Fall Accident?
According to The National Floor Safety Institute, more than 8 million individuals are admitted into an emergency care facility as the result of a slip and fall injury each year. A dominant majority of slip & fall cases require the slip & fall lawyer to demonstrate negligence on behalf of the premises owner, representative, or guardian. Legally speaking, negligence denotes when an individual or company behaves in a manner that fails to align with their legal expectations. In Greenville, South Carolina, and the United States, premises have an obligation to ensure the safety of the building occupants.
Proof of negligence requires the following:
- A reasonable obligation exists
- A Party was negligent in adhering to the obligation
- An injury occurred as a result of failing to meet this obligation.
- A calculable amount of damages have occurred as a result of the injury.
A slip & fall lawyer or personal injury lawyer such can help you with your slip & fall accident-related injuries.
Accidents that result in personal injuries can lead to serious consequences and impact our lives in a variety of ways. While some accidents such as rear-end car crashes, only result in minor injuries such as whiplash or concussions, other accidents can result in damages that persist for long periods. The worst of all accidents lead to wrongful deaths. Surviving members of a deceased person family can claim damages for the negligent actions that led to the loss of life of their family member or loved one.
When an individual loses their life as a result of an accident, the deceased individuals family members can file a wrongful death claim naming the negligent party as the defendant in the case. Damages recovered from a wrongful death claim can include monetary losses such as the removal of economic stability due to the victim’s death and resulting loss of income for the family. Emotional damages can be recovered as well and are often referred to as non-economic damages.
Another potential claim is a survivorship claim. A survivorship claim is a claim that is leveraged on behalf of a deceased person for damages caused while the party was still living. Most calculable damages can be recovered, from medical expenses to expenses related to property damage, and/or failure to resolve debt on existing loans. Wrongful death lawyers can help a victims family members seek rewards, those rewards become property of the victims estate which follows dispersement patterns according to a will and/or intestate succession rules established by the state in which the deceased members permanent residence is located. The loss of a loved one due to negligent actions leading to a wrongful death is a hard situation for all parties involved. Thats why it is imperative that you seek out a wrongful death lawyer immediately. A wrongful death lawyer can help you not only review the details of your case, but also investigate to find the negligent party, and seek rewards for damages related to the accident. Our staff is ready to assist you in these most difficult situations.
Have you or a loved one suffered a brain injury? An injury caused to the head that affects the brain as a result of an accidents can have life changing consequences. Suffering from a traumatic brain injury can be hard and you or your loved ones should contact our Greenville office brain injury lawyers immediately.
TBI’s which are otherwise referred to as traumatic brain injuries are the result of irregular changes to the fundamental and normative functions of the brain. The changes can be the result of blunt force to the head, whiplash related injuries, and even slip & fall injuries that lead to an individual hitting their head on the ground or any hard surface. The CDC indicates that causes of Brain injuries are as follows:
- Slip and Falls including workplace falls and premises negligence cause 40.5 % of TBIs
- Traffic accidents such as Car or Truck accidents cause 14.3% of TBIs
- Other: 15.5% of TBIs
Suffering from a traumatic brain injury can have lingering impacts that often permanently change the life of an individual. Each year, Traumatic Brain Injuries lead to the following:
- 2.2 million visits to the Emergency Room
- 280,000 individuals are hospitalized each year
- 52,000 people die per year
A traumatic brain injury can have severe impacts, some of which are not noticeable. (read this blog to find out more about delayed symptoms), you should take the advice of a professional to determine the best way to deal with your potential brain injury. We have provided the following tips to help you take the next step if you suspect that you or a loved one have suffered as a result of a TBI:
- Seek medical aid as soon as possible! Immediately after suffering from a TBI, you can use the professional expertise of a brain specialist to ensure your brains health. If necessary, Call 911 in order to have you, a loved one, or injured party transported to the hospital for immediate evaluation. The authorities will help with emergency care on scene and recommend the best steps to ensure the safety of the injured party.
- Be sure the capture photo evidence of the accident. This means taking as many pictures as possible to help tell the story of the accident and show the damage done. Admissible evidence in court can help you solidify your claim to receive a monetary reward related to the accident.
- Consult a personal injury lawyer that specializes in brain injuries. Our team in Greenville, SC will help the victim pursue damages from all relevant parties and secure the maximum reward for the victim. Call the Law Office of Brian T. Smith to consult our talented team.
Spinal Cord Injury
It is common knowledge that spinal cords act as nerve center highways to send signals from your brain to your body. When you work with a spinal cord injury lawyer, they know that a spinal cord injury (SCI) can cause an individual to suffer from the implications of permanent damages to their body and impact other areas of their life. The spinal cord is the most important structure between the body and the brain. The spinal cord extends from the foramen magnum where it is continuous with the medulla to the level of the first or second lumbar vertebrae. It is a vital link between the brain and the body, and from the body to the brain. The spinal cord is 40 to 50 cm long and 1 cm to 1.5 cm in diameter. Two consecutive rows of nerve roots emerge on each of its sides. These nerve roots join distally to form 31 pairs of spinal nerves. The result of damage to any part of the spinal cord can affect things such as mobility, strength, the ability to sense through feeling, and more. Spinal cord injuries can be the result of various accidents in Greenville, SC such as auto accidents on major highways such as I85 or I385. The National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center collected the following data regarding spinal cord injuries:
- 12,000 new SCI cases occur every year
- Roughly 270,000 individuals in the U.S. posses Spinal Cord Injuries
- 39.2% of Spinal Cord Injuries are caused by motor vehicle crashes (Acts of violence 14%, Sports 9%, Other 9%)
- The average 25-year-old person with a severe SCI injury costs over $4.5 Million
A spinal cord injury lawyer can help a victim of an SCI receive damages. Those damages may be awarded based on the severity of the damages suffered. Much like any other personal injury case, with regard to spinal cord injuries, rewards are provided for the following reasons:
- Previous, current, and future medicinal treatment required by a spinal cord injury victim to take care of their injury.
- Lost wages as a result of the inability to perform job duties and inability in any capacity to maintain to gainful employment.
- Orthopaedic and other medical devices required for mobility.
- Injury-related Pain & suffering.
- A decrease in the ability to be sexually intimate with a spouse due to the loss of mobility from a spinal cord injury.
- Damages in excess of other claims considered punitive that have the intention of deterring the defendant’s behavior in instances where the defendant’s behavior is considered to be unreasonably reckless by the court. Courts utilize punitive damages in this manner to deter similar careless behavior
Often times, individuals who are involved in a car accident simply allow their insurance companies deal with the aftermath of the accident. Despite the fact that car insurance companies can allow people to recover damages as a result of an accident, oftentimes the total amount reimbursed by an policy claims isn’t enough to recoup the totality of the associated expenses from the accident. To get what you deserve, other parties may often be able to help with the additional fees related to your damages and can be pursued for their role in causing the damage.
Here is an incomplete collection of entities that could owe compensation for causing your accident:
- Vehicle Manufacturers—Vehicle Manufacturers occasionally mistakenly sell defective vehicles. Defective motor vehicle products can include products such as steering columns, breaks, airbags, seatbelts, and even fuel lines. Any of which could result in a crash being more severe. When a malfunctioning part of a vehicle leads to an accident related injury or doesn’t properly protect the passenger(s), the parties responsible for the product manufacturing, development, & distribution process could be liable. Our office is prepared to seek damages against negligent parties.
- Government Agencies— Municipalities at every level are responsible for maintaining safe road conditions. When government municipalities facilitate unsafe conditions for motorists, they could be liable for your car accident.
- Business Owners—When an employee is involved in an accident during work, the employer may be legally responsible for the damages.
Recently, motorcycle sales have increased as this method of transportation has become more popular. Unfortunately, fatalities and accidents for motorcyclist have also risen. Motorcycle related deaths are double the amount that they were in 1997. Despite the fact that motorcycles are merely 3% of motor-vehicles on the road, motorcycle fatalities account for 14% of all roadway related deaths.
The disproportionate injuries associated with motorcycle accidents likely stem from the safety technology in place. New technology such as stronger frames and newer airbags in vehicles can save lives. However, the safety of motorcycle riders depends heavily on just rider gear, like helmets and riding leathers.
Our staff will work diligently to show your accident was caused not by your own negligence, but by the negligence produced by road conditions or other motorists. The following briefly explain negligent situations:
- The condition of a road can cause a motorcycle accident due to abnormalities such as speed bumps, potholes, water or oil on the riding surface, uneven pavement, and/or debris interfering with the safe operation of the motorcycle.
- Quite a few motorcycle accidents occur because other motorists fail to identify bike riders. The size of a motorcycle increases the likelihood that the motorcycle will be in another motorist’s blind spot. A good deal of motorcycle accidents occur at intersections when motorist fail to see motorcyclist turning left
If you have suffered an injury as a result of a motorcycle accident, it is crucial that you consult a Greenville, South Carolina motorcycle accident attorney. An experienced attorney from our office will be equipped with the skills and the knowledge to help you seek damages for your motorcycle acciden
Semi Truck Accident
Truck accidents result in some of the worst vehicle accidents often leading to serious injuries. The total weight of big rigs can exceed 80,000 lbs. if they are carrying a full load. In addition, they are also normally traveling at a high speed. Due to the sheer size as well as the weight of a maximum load bearing truck, it can be difficult for the semi-truck to stop or decrease its speed quickly.
Studies show that most semi-truck accidents are a result of driver error. The below collection of stats outline scenarios of how truck operators can be liable for accidents:
- Speeding— According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) states that 1 in every 5 truck accident related fatalities is due to illegal speeding.
- Exhaustion— As a result of their jobs, truck drivers tend to have long, demanding road schedules and are under pressures that encourages them to get their loads delivered on time. While the FMCSA has policies in place that regulate the amount of hours a truck driver can legally be behind the wheel, such limitations are quite high and go beyond what some experts recommend. A fatigued truck driver could potentially lack the level of alertness required to avert a truck accident.
- Improper Loading—A common cause of truck accidents is improper loading. Often times, trailers that are loaded beyond capacity or improperly loaded can result in a semi-truck losing control leading to a jack-knife or roll over. It is even possible for the rig’s tires to blow which could lead to the driver to losing all control of the vehicle.
- Drug Use—evidence is indicative of truck drivers often utilizing stimulants as well as other illegal drugs to stay alert. Often times, drugs can lead to numerous accidents on an annual basis.
Semi-Truck injuries and accident related cases can be especially complicated due to the fact that trucking companies normally retain specialized legal teams. Speak with one of our team members to figure out the best approach to handling your claim.
Steps You Can Take To Help Your Car Accident Claim
The following are ways you can help your car accident attorney:
- Witness Accounts—collect the names and contact information for everyone who saw the accident. Ask them for their perspective of how the crash occurred. Their accounts can be critical pieces of evidence due to objectivity as 3rd party members. Witnesses could be other drivers and passengers on the road, pedestrians, and individuals in nearby businesses.
- Take Photos—another crucial way to gather the evidence at the crash site is by taking pictures of it. Almost all cell phones have high quality cameras. Use a cell phone camera to shoot the accident scene from different points of view. Try to shoot a photo that shows the scene of the accident as a whole. Then move in closer and capture the details of the accident and the resulting damage.
- Accident Reports—after an accident involving a vehicle, reports will be created by the different authorities. Police, paramedics, and tow companies will all write up reports of their perspective of the accident. Each report can be an important piece of evidence about who or what caused the accident. Together, these reports could be critical factors in winning your case. Make sure to acquire copies of these reports and share them with your car accident lawyer.