Spartanburg Bike Accident Injury Lawyer for Bicycle Injuries
Bike accident lawyers in Spartanburg agree, whenever a bike and a car tangle, more often than not, the loser is the cyclist. When the driver of a car is at fault and an injury has occurred, it may require the services of a bicycle accident attorney. BT Smith personal injury attorneys have experienced bike lawyers that handle bike injuries. If you are the victim of a cycling accident, contact BT Smith today for a FREE case evaluation. Call (864) 662-6821.
Spartanburg is a bustling metropolitan city where about 37,000 residents live and go to work on a daily basis. Many people choose to ride bikes to improve their health, avoid traffic congestion, and reduce carbon footprint. A huge portion of Spartanburg residents use bicycles as a primary mode of transportation. This healthy habit also leads to bike accidents. This is where a bicycle accident lawyer can help.
Spartanburg’s roads are bike-friendly and dedicated lanes for bikers to use. Bikers must use these lanes. But if there is none, they need to use the far right-hand lane of traffic. Unfortunately, the large concentration of vehicles in the area can still make things difficult for these bikers. Some drivers do not consider biking lanes as actual traffic lanes, leading to serious accidents. More often than not, bikers are more hurt than motorists in these accidents.
Getting involved in a biking injury can be a difficult and challenging time for you and your loved ones. You may suffer from financial hardship. You may lose your ability to enjoy life. Your injury may prevent you from doing the things you love. Bikers should not have huge bills, especially if the accident was not their fault. Thankfully, there are laws in place to protect the rights of bikers. A bicycle accident lawyer knows these laws very well. They can help guide you. For example, South Carolina considers a bicycle as a form of vehicle and its rider as a motorist. As such, bikers have the same rights on the road like any other vehicle driver.
The best way to protect your rights is to hire an experienced bicycle accident attorney. If you find yourself in a biking accident, you can hire a bicycle accident lawyer to file a claim. A bicycle accident lawyer will help you receive compensation via an out-of-court settlement or a full-fledged trial. You may receive the compensation for your pain and loss of income once the court finds the other party negligible.
Injury Due to Broken Bicycle Laws - Contact a Bicycle Injury Attorney
Bicycle laws vary widely from state to state across America. South Carolina bicycle laws are in place to protect bike riders on the road. Understanding South Carolina bicycle laws can be tricky. The law office of Brian T. Smith has compiled the facts you need to know. South Carolina bicycle laws state:
South Carolina Bicycle Laws: When There is a Designated Bike Lane
- Vehicles on the road are not allowed to block the bike lane.
- If a vehicle must enter a bike lane, the vehicle must yield to a bicyclist.
- Bicyclists must ride in their lane if one exists.
- Bicyclists can only ride on the road in order to pass another cyclist or to avoid lane obstruction.
South Carolina Bicycle Laws: When There is No Designated Bike Lane
- Bicyclists can ride in the road. (A bike path does not mean a multi-use recreational path.)
- Bicyclists must ride as far right as possible.
- When on roads, bicyclists can ride no more than two abreast.
- Bicyclists must sit on their seat.
- Bicyclists cannot carry other people on their bike. The fine for this is up to $500.
South Carolina Bicycle Laws: General Guidelines
- Bicyclists cannot be attached to a vehicle.
- Bicyclists cannot use both hands to carry something while biking.
- Bicyclists must use proper hand signals when stopping or turning.
- When biking at night, a bicyclist must have a light on the front of their bike. The light must be visible from at least 500 feet.
- When night biking, a bicyclist should also have a red reflector on the bike’s rear. The red reflector should reflect 50-300 feet away.
- It is unlawful for anyone to yell at or harass a bicyclist.
- It is unlawful to throw anything at a bicyclist. The fine for doing so is $250 or more, even 30 days in prison.
For further reading, please see “Bicyclists and Users of Play Vehicles; Right and Duties,” Article 27 of South Carolina Bicycle Laws.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Most cyclists are careful while on the road by wearing protective gear and obeying traffic rules. However, no matter how careful a cyclist is, serious accidents can still happen while on the road. Here is a list of the most common types of bicycle accidents that frequently occur in Spartanburg:
- Negligent driving – A biker gets injured due to the other party’s unsafe driving practices. These practices include speeding, following too closely, texting, and failing to give the cyclist plenty of room. Drivers running over stop signs and red lights can also cause an accident.
- Dooring – A bicyclist suffers an injury as a result of a car door opening on the side of the road.
- DUI/DWI – A cyclist gets injured because the offending party has consumed alcohol.
- Failure to yield – A biker sustains an injury after a motorist fails to yield the right of way.
- Defective bicycle parts – A biker suffers from an injury caused by a defective design or a manufacturing flaw.
- Negligent upkeep of public property – A biker gets injured because of a poorly-designed or maintained road. Examples of a poorly designed road include: potholes, inadequate signage, and overgrown vegetation.
A Bike Accident Attorneys Can Help You Seek Damages
Under the South Carolina bicycle laws, a biker has the same legal rights as everyone else on the road. You deserve a fair share of the road. If you sustained an injury because of someone’s negligence, you may seek damages. To help you win your claim, a bicycle accident lawyer will help you realize your rights and get you started. You can seek damages for the following:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitative costs
- Loss of income
- Property damage
- Temporary disability
- Permanent disability
Medical Help or a Bicycle Injury Lawyer - What to Do After a Bicycle Accident
Of course we want you to seek medical attention, first and foremost. Once your injuries have been attended to and you have been able to rest, it is important to get in touch with a bicycle injury lawyer as soon as possible, while the details of the accident are fresh in your mind. Waiting too long could cause you to forget important details to provide your injury lawyer about your accident, that a bike attorney could use to get you a larger settlement.
It is understandable to be at a complete loss after a biking accident. However, what you do after the accident could impact the results of your personal injury claim. Here are the important steps you need to take after being in an accident:
- Call 911 – After the collision, your first point of action is to seek immediate medical help from the first responders. Even if you feel okay and nothing is hurting, you need to get yourself checked. Not all injuries are immediately evident, and some may show up days and weeks after the accident. Some injuries are also internal and not easily detected unless you’re seen by a doctor.
- Get information – If the crash involves another person, get their name and contact details. Also get their license and registration number.
- Document your injuries— Bicycle accidents happen quickly, making the smallest of details difficult to remember. You need to provide proof that the other party’s negligence resulted in injuries and damages. Take pictures of the damage done to your bike and to your person. Take note of the circumstances of your accident and the extent of your injuries. Write everything down while your memories are still fresh and clear in your mind. Also keep track of your medical expenses, hospital stays, and all the procedures done to you. The more documentation you have, the stronger your case will be.
- Talk to witnesses— If another person witnessed the accident, talk to them before they leave the scene. Their testimony could prove useful when your bicycle accident lawyer files your claim.
- Avoid making a statement— Most insurance adjusters will attempt to contact you within 24 hours after your injury. Since you are still shaken at this point, they can take advantage of your vulnerable state. Wait until you have legal representation before giving a statement to the insurance company
- Seek legal help— After seeing a doctor, the next best thing to do is protect yourself and your rights. Consult a bicycle accident attorney. Our justice system is very complicated. There are complexities that you need to understand and deadlines you have to meet.
A Bicycle Attorney can Help File a Personal Injury Claim
The statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim in South Carolina is three years. However, if a government entity is the one responsible for the crash, the limitation is two years. It is imperative that you contact a bicycle accident attorney to help you get through this difficult time. A bicycle accident lawyer will help you get the money and benefits you deserve.
Best to Find a Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near You Locally in Spartanburg, SC
Choosing the right bicycle accident lawyer can make or break your personal injury claim. Make the right choice by taking note of the following qualities that a bicycle accident attorney needs to have:
- Experience – Choose a bicycle accident attorney who has a proven track record and extensive experience in the courtroom. Your chosen law firm should be prepared to go to full trial if both parties fail to reach a settlement. The firm will fight for your rights and won’t back down until you get the fair compensation you deserve.
- Specialization – Your chances are great if you choose an experienced lawyer in the bicycle injury practice area. The bicycle accident attorney should be knowledgeable when it comes to biking gear, local routes, and roads in Spartanburg. The attorney can also do an accident reconstruction, if necessary, to prove that the other party is at fault. An experienced attorney will be able to hire medical experts to establish that your injuries have severely impacted your life.
- Empathy – Aside from their physical injuries, victims are emotionally and mentally stressed as well. Choose a bicycle accident attorney who will treat you as a person, instead of viewing you as just another case. Hire someone who treats you with the respect and compassion you deserve. The best personal injury lawyers will keep your best interests in mind at all times.
- Personal attention – The lawyer should remain active in your case instead of handing it over to legal assistants and paralegals.
- Communication – Choose a bicycle accident attorney who will communicate every step of the way. The claims process can be a lengthy procedure, so hire someone who will keep you updated. It is also important that the chosen lawyer explain the legal process to you in clear, concise language.
Bicycle Accident Attorneys at BT Smith Law Firm in Spartanburg SC
If you sustained a bicycle related injury due to someone else's negligence, you may require the services of a qualified bicycle lawyer. BT Smith Personal Injury Lawyers defend the rights of cyclists injured in car accidents and other types of bike injuries. Contact us today to speak to one of our bicycle accident attorneys. A bike attorney will answer your questions and help get you the compensation you deserve. Talk to a bicycle injury lawyer for a FREE case evaluation by calling (864) 662-6821.
Learn More About Hiring a Bicycle Accident Lawyer
The process of filing a claim for a bike accident is often a complicated and stressful experience. You don’t have to deal with the biking accident on your own. The last thing you need to deal with is stress and paperwork while filing a claim. Allow us to help you get started on your road to recovery. Our bicycle accident attorney will handle all the legal wrangling so you get to focus on your healing.
Brian T. Smith protects the rights of bikers and bicycle accident victims. If you are at a complete loss and don’t know what to do, allow us to help. We will help you navigate the intricacies of the legal system. Contact a bicycle accident lawyer today and receive a free consultation.