Personal Injury Lawyer Greenville SC
Personal Injury Lawyer Greenville SC
Greenville, SC: The personal injury lawyer at the Law Office of Brian T. Smith have
represented clients who have suffered serious personal injury or death as a result of the negligence of others. Most of our clients are referred by other personal injury lawyers and prior clients. Since our firm is selective in our case load, we put in all of the necessary time and money that is required to maximize the recovery for our client. As you can see from our record, we produce results. The personal injury lawyer at the Law Office of Brian T. Smith will always fight for the client’s best interests.
GREENVILLE SC PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER
Our firm is highly experienced in handling personal injuries involving:
- Wrongful Death
- Medical Malpractice
- Birth Trauma
- General Negligence
- Auto Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Airplane Accidents
- Train Accidents
- Construction Accidents/Labor Law
- Crane Accidents
- Products Liability
- Defective Products
- Elevator Accidents
- Escalator Accidents
- Unsafe Premises
- Police Brutality
- Brain & Spinal Cord Injuries
- Electrical Shock and Electrocution Accidents
- Explosion and Fire Accidents
THE IMPORTANCE OF CHOOSING AN EXPERIENCED PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER
Throughout the years, our personal injury lawyers have successfully represented individuals and families in Greenville and the whole of South Carolina who have suffered injury by the negligence of others. We recognize how tragic and overwhelming it can be to deal with the mounting costs and suffering caused by a serious personal injury. We work with the absolute best experts including accident reconstructionists, biomechanical engineers, medical doctors, forensic pathologists, economists, and other experts from the various fields. Our Personal Injury Lawyers use whatever expert is appropriate to prove both liability and damages in your personal injury case. Each case has its own set of associated costs, which could include pain and suffering, lost wages, the cost of care and numerous others. These must be clearly demonstrated. Our personal injury lawyers will document and preserve all necessary evidence to prove your case and fastidiously prepare your case for trial if we cannot reach a settlement outside of court.
Let Us Handle the Insurance Company for You!
If you’ve been injured, you have enough to worry about without having to deal with the insurance company. Insurance companies are notorious for attempting to pay injured people less than what they are entitled to, and they often get away with it when injured people attempt to handle their cases on their own. That’s why it is so critical to put an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side to advocate for your best interests.
You may be entitled to compensation for the following damages:
- Hospital and medical bills
- Rehabilitation costs
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages and/or earning capacity
- Property damage
We’ve negotiated with insurance companies for years and know what it takes to secure maximum results for our clients. No matter how large or small your case, we treat each case as if it were our own and pursue the most money possible for you. Best of all, if we don’t win your case, you don’t owe us a penny for our services. There is no risk to you!*
*No fee if no recovery.
Are You Looking for a Personal Injury Lawyer in Greenville, South Carolina?
When an accident occurs, you may be hurt and confused about which steps to take. One of the best decisions you could make is to speak with an personal injury lawyer who specializes in personal injury law. An excellent personal injury lawyer has experience, resources, and a desire to help.
- When you have been injured by someone’s reckless actions, a personal injury lawyer can help you win appropriate compensation from the responsible party. However, not all lawyers are equally qualified to handle your case. It is critical to pick an attorney who has years of experience dealing with personal injury cases.
- Your personal injury lawyer should also practice in your specific type of case. For example, if you have been in a car accident, you should retain a car accident lawyer who has handled matters similar to yours.
- It is important that your personal injury lawyer have a winning record. If an attorney has a history of earning compensation for his clients, this indicates that he will know the appropriate steps to take to make sure that your case is handled successfully. The best attorneys work with other experts to build the most compelling case for compensation. Personal Injury Lawyers often work with investigators and evidence experts who gather evidence at the scene and recreate the event that caused your personal injury. This can be very useful when your attorney presents information to a jury or during settlement negotiations.
- One of the most important traits of a top personal injury lawyer is a strong commitment to the client’s best interests. This characteristic should be apparent from the minute the lawyer first receives the call that you have been injured. Your attorney should immediately set up a conference to review your case. The attorneys at the Law Office of Brian T. Smith will meet with you at any hour of the day and will travel to you if you need be. We review your case for free and will front all necessary costs. You don’t pay until we win you compensation. This is part of our firm’s philosophy. We practice personal injury law because we are committed to protecting the rights of accident victims. We are fighting for you.
Have You Been Hurt in a Slip and Fall Accident?
Slip and fall accidents are one of the most common personal injuries. The National Floor Safety Institute has reported that more than 8 million individuals go to the emergency room each year after slipping and falling. This type of accident is the number one leading cause of days missed from work.
A slip and fall accident occurs when someone loses their footing and falls to the ground. The cause of the accident can be a slippery substance on the floor (e.x. water), a defect in the floor (e.x. uneven terrain), or another factor (e.x. poor lighting).
Most slip and fall cases rely on the victim’s attorney’s ability to demonstrate that the property owner or the owner’s representatives were negligent. In legal terms, negligence refers to when an individual or company behaves in a manner that doesn’t line up with their legal expectations. In Greenville, South Carolina and the United States, we have an obligation to act reasonably with one another.
To prove negligence, you have to show:
- That the defendant had an obligation to act reasonably
- The defendant’s actions fell short of this obligation
- Because this obligation was not fulfilled, the victim was hurt
- The victim’s losses placed a monetary burden on them
To show negligence, the slip and fall attorney or personal injury lawyer will need to prove that a property owner created the unsafe environment, or knew (or should have known) about the hazardous condition, and didn’t take the appropriate action to fix the issue. Because the owner didn’t take care of the condition, the victim slipped and fell, sustaining injuries. An experienced slip and fall attorney or personal injury lawyer will be able to review your case and determine if the property owner’s negligence was responsible for your injury.
Personal injury accidents can affect our lives in numerous ways. Sometimes an accidents results in a relatively small personal injury, such as a broken bone that heals in a few months. But other accidents have long-term consequences. The worst result of an accident is when someone loses their life. Life-ending accidents can happen in numerous scenarios where there is neglect. When this happens, a wrongful death lawsuit could earn compensation for the surviving relatives of the deceased.
When an individual dies in an accident, that person’s surviving relatives can bring a wrongful death claim against the negligent party. Compensation can include economic damages like the loss of financial support because the victim’s death and resulting loss of income for the family. Non-economic damages include the loss of the deceased’s companionship, love, and training.
Another potential claim is a survivorship claim. This is brought on the behalf of the deceased individual for the losses suffered after the accident while the victim was still alive. Damages can include expenses like transportation to the hospital, bills for medical treatment, and lost income while the person was in the hospital. If a wrongful death lawyer is successful in bringing the survivorship claim, then the award belongs to the deceased’s estate and is appropriated according to the person’s will or under the state’s intestate succession laws. If you have lost a loved one in an accident, speak with a wrongful death attorney as soon as possible. Your attorney will be able to review your case and determine the best course of action. Our personal injury attorneys at the Law Office of Brian T. Smith are qualified and ready to assist you in these most difficult situations.
Brain injuries from accidents can have life changing consequences. If you or a loved one has suffered a traumatic brain injury, you should contact our Greenville office brain injury attorneys immediately.
A traumatic brain injury happens any time there is a change in how the brain functions as a result of some external force or injury. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention provides the following statistics with regard to traumatic brain injuries (TBIs):
- Slip and Falls cause 40.5 % of TBIs
- Traffic accidents cause 14.3% of TBIs
- Other striking injuries cause 15.5% of TBIs
A traumatic brain injury can immediately change your life. Annually, TBIs cause:
- 52,000 deaths;
- 280,000 people to be hospitalized; and
- 2.2 million Emergency Room visits.
If you are involved in an accident of any kind and suspect that you or a family member has suffered a traumatic brain injury (or any personal injury), the following tips can help you handle this very difficult situation:
- Get immediate medical attention. Call 911 to the scene and have the injured person transported to the hospital via ambulance. The authorities will provide emergency care and then take steps to identify and treat the issue.
- Photograph the scene of the accident. This will preserve important pieces of evidence that could uncover how the accident happened and who is responsible party.
- Speak with a brain injury lawyer. A great attorney will pursue all avenues for compensation so that the injured victim can make the best recovery possible.
Are You the Victim of a Spinal Cord Injury?
Experienced personal injury lawyers know a spinal cord injury (SCI) could cause an accident victim to have serious, lifelong issues. The spinal cord is the group of nerves that allows the brain to communicate with the rest of the body. Our ability to move and feel is facilitated by these nerves. When any part of the spinal cord is damaged, a person may face the loss of strength, sensation, and mobility. Sadly, these debilitating injuries are common in many types of accidents. The National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center produced the following statistics:
- There are 12,000 new spinal cord injury cases each year
- Approximately 270,000 people live with SCIs
- 39.2% of SCIs are caused by car crashes
- The average lifetime cost of treating a 25-year-old person who suffers a severe SCI (tetraplegia) is over $4.5 million
When a victim is successful in bringing a spinal cord injury case, damages are awarded based on the severity of the damages suffered. Damages are financial awards that are given as compensation for the injuries and/or losses that the victim suffered because of the injury.
Similar to other personal injury cases, in spinal cord injury case, damages could be awarded for the following reason:
- Past and future medical treatment that the victim will need to handle the injury
- Lost income caused by time away from work and the partial or total inability to return to gainful employment
- Assistive medical devices needed for mobility
- Pain and suffering
- The loss of sexual intimacy with a spouse as a result of the injury
- Punitive damages that punish the defendant’s behavior may be awarded when the behavior is considered extremely reckless by the court. Courts use this type of damages to discourage similar careless behavior
Often times, individuals who are involved in a car accident simply let their insurance companies deal with the problem. Although car insurance can help an individual recover from the accident, sometimes the amount paid by an insurance company isn’t enough to cover all of the associated expenses from the accident. To get what you deserve, it may be necessary to pursue compensation from the parties responsible for the crash.
Here is an incomplete list of parties who could owe compensation for causing your accident:
- Vehicle Manufacturers—Companies sometimes mistakenly sell defective vehicles. Common defective products include airbags, breaks, steering columns, seat belts, and fuel lines. Any of which could result in a crash being more severe. When a malfunction part of a vehicle causes an accident or fails to properly protect the passenger(s), the companies involved in the manufacturing and distribution process could be liable. A skilled Greenville, South Carolina car accident lawyer at our office will know how best to pursue a claim against these companies.
- Government Agencies—our local, state, and federal governments are responsible for maintaining safe road conditions. When these agencies create unsafe conditions for motorists, they could be liable for your car accident.
- Business Owners—when an employee causes an accident while at work, the employer may be legally responsible for the damages. This is referred to as “vicarious liability” and means that an employer can be liable just because the employee was acting as an agent of the employer. For this to apply, the employee must have been engaging in a sanctioned work related activity.
Have You Been Injured in a Motorcycle Accident?
Recently, motorcycle sales have increased as this method of transportation has become more popular. Unfortunately, motorcycle fatalities have risen too. Motorcycle deaths are twice as high as they were in 1997. Although motorcycles account for just 3% of the vehicles on the road, motorcycle fatalities account for 14% of all roadway related deaths.
The disproportionate injuries associated with motorcycle accidents likely stem from the safety technology in place. Technology like sturdier frames and airbags in passenger vehicles save lives. However, the safety of motorcycle riders depends heavily on just rider gear, like helmets and riding leathers.
One of our experienced motorcycle accident attorneys will work diligently to show your accident was caused not by your own negligence, but by the negligence produced by road conditions or other motorists. The following briefly explain negligent situations:
- The condition of a road can cause a motorcycle accident due to potholes, speed bumps, oil or water on the riding surface, uneven pavement, and/or debris interfering with the safe operation of the bike
- Many accidents occur because other motorists don’t see motorcyclists. The size of a motorcycle increases the likelihood that the bike will be in another driver’s blind spot. A good deal of motorcycle accidents happen at intersections when drivers don’t see bike riders turning left
If you are in a motorcycle accident, make sure to speak with a Greenville, South Carolina motorcycle accident attorney. A skilled lawyer from our office will understand the specific challenges you face when making a claim for compensation.
Have You Been in an Accident Involving a Big Rig or Semi-Truck?
Large truck accidents can be some of the most horrific types of crashes. The weight of a big rigs can exceed 80,000 lbs. when fully loaded. In addition, they are also normally traveling at a high speed. The size and weight of a loaded semi-truck make it difficult to stop swiftly.
Studies show that most semi-truck accidents are a result of driver error. The following list outlines a few examples of how truck drivers can cause accidents:
- Speeding—the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) states that 1 in 5 truck accident fatalities is due to illegal speeding. The results can be deadly.
- Exhaustion—truck drivers have long, demanding schedules and face pressures to get their loads delivered on time. Though the FMCSA regulates the hours that a driver can legally be on the road, the limits are still high and go beyond what some experts recommend. A fatigued truck driver might not be alert enough to prevent an accident.
- Improper Loading—trucks that are overloaded or improperly loaded can cause a big rig to jack-knife or roll over. The truck’s tires may even blow causing the driver to lose all control of the vehicle.
- Drug Use—many truck drivers use stimulants and other illegal drugs to stay alert. These drugs are responsible for numerous accidents each year.
Truck accident cases can be especially complicated because trucking companies normally retain specialized legal teams. If you or a loved one has been involved in a big rig accident, you need a truck accident attorney in Greenville who has experience with similar cases and a proven track record of results. Speak with one of our skilled accident lawyers to figure out the best approach to handling your claim.
Steps You Can Take to Help Your Car Accident Claim
The following are ways you can help your car accident attorney prove liability:
- Witness Accounts—collect the names and contact information for everyone who saw the accident. Ask them for their perspective of how the crash occurred. Their accounts can be critical pieces of evidence due to objectivity as 3rd party members. Witnesses could be other drivers and passengers on the road, pedestrians, and individuals in nearby businesses.
- Take Photos—another crucial way to gather the evidence at the crash site is by taking pictures of it. Almost all cell phones have high quality cameras. Use a cell phone camera to shoot the accident scene from different points of view. Try to shoot a photo that shows the scene of the accident as a whole. Then move in closer and capture the details of the accident and the resulting damage.
- Accident Reports—after an accident involving a vehicle, reports will be created by the different authorities. Police, paramedics, and tow companies will all write up reports of their perspective of the accident. Each report can be an important piece of evidence about who or what caused the accident. Together, these reports could be critical factors in winning your case. Make sure to acquire copies of these reports and share them with your car accident lawyer.
Accidents can be horrific events. Dealing with insurance companies and guilty parties is stressful. You need a professional on your team. The personal injury lawyers at the Law Office of Brian T. Smith are ready to help.